What to Eat in Semarang – 14 Top Traditional Food
Semarang City, have you been here? Most people unfamiliar with Semarang, the baddest and saddest they don’t even know if Semarang exist! This article will bring you closer to Semarang, especially the culinary.
Semarang itself as part of Central Java, known as part of 10 biggest city in Indonesia. Semarang itself a bit different comparing to Jakarta, or region in another Java. This one is more quiet and calm, including the inhabitants.
There are many Things to Do in Semarang What to do in Semarang is try delicious culinary. Even though Semarang unknown as culinary city, but let’s take a look on the 15 lists Semarang culinary.
1. Gudeg Abimanyu
What to eat in Semarang? Gudeg well-known as a traditional food from Yogyakarta. However, you can also find it here on Semarang. Gudeg Abimanyu what I came up with. It looks like the common gudeg. Filled with nangka muda, kerupuk, chicken, various vegetables, and sweet sauce.
I’ve tasted gudeg many times, but I don’t really get into it. Perhaps cause the taste is too sweet for me, yet I’m spicy lovers. So sweet food just not my taste, chocolate and ice cream for exception.
- Location: J. Abimanyu VI No. 39, Pindrikan Lor, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 06:00 – 17:00 WIB
- Price Tag: Rp 10,000
2. Warung Makan Kelengan
There are many Places To Visit in Indonesia and you can’t miss the food. This warung labeled as non HALAL restaurant since it served bacon. It means there is no Muslim over here. The bacon served with tusuk satay (if you seen this before). Satay in common just filled with chicken, beef, and lamb slices. But now you can taste it differences with bacon.
What about the taste? It is insanely yum yum and yu. To be honest, I no idea about the taste because I don’t taste it yet. But according to visitors, they said it’s bloody yum.
- Location: Gang Tengah No. 18, Krangan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 21:00 WIB
- Price Tag: Rp 15,000
3. Kue Lekker Paimo
Kue lekker found easily in every state in Indonesia. In Semarang also the same, but the popular one is Kue Lekker Paimo. The difference comparing to another is what inside. Lekker in common served with cheese, chocolate, blueberry, or another jam. Lekker Paimo serves it with meat!
How is it taste? Well, if curiousity pop up, tryna be here very soon. Oh yeah, especially when you travel to Semarang.
- Location: Jl. Karang Anyar No. 37, Brumbungan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 17:00 WIB
- Price Tag: Rp 5,000 – Rp 15,000
4. Lumpia Semarang Gang Lombok
What to eat in Semarang? Lumpia has its famous in Yogyakarta. But hey, Lumpia also available in Semarang. The most popular one is Lumpia Gang Lombok. This snacks formed like a Chinese spring roll, then out it into local palate design.
As same as the other lumpia in common, Gang Lombok served almost the same taste. Yeah, it might a bit different a little bit. Try to come early because this place super crowd every single day!
- Location: Jl. Gang Lombok No. 11, Purwodinatan, Semarang, Central Java, Semarang
- Opening Hours: 08:00 – 17:00 WIB
5. Bandeng Presto Juwana Elrina
You may want to get Things to Do in Bangli Bali but don’t leave Semarang before you try this. Bandeng seems like milk fish, which notoriously hard to eat. However, it is much bonier comparing to seafoods. Along Pandanaran street, you can find Bandeng store wildly. Five till six stores lined adjuscent. If you a newbie buying Bandeng, you’ll confuse at that time because you no idea which store is better than others.
Well, Bandeng Presto in Juwana Elrina is what I recommend! This huge bandeng store been famous in the past couple years. The concept store also different, and known as the biggest Bandeng store. Beside selling Bandeng, you can also purchase Semarang snacks over here to take it to your colleagues when you back home.
- Location: Jl. Pandanaran No. 57, Randusari, South Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 06:30 – 23:00 WIB
- Price Tag: Rp 10.000 – Rp 200,000
6. Tahu Pong Karang Saru
Life without snacks are devoid. Another snacks in Semarang is Tahu Pong. Tahu Pong itself made of fried tofu with bumbu kecap (sweet sauce in black color if you’ve ever seen this). It served in vary, such prawn, chicked, etc.
One of most ordered is Tahu Pong filled with prawn inside. This is totally delicious and will make you order over again. Literally it’s such a fried prawn in flout batter.
- Location: Jl. Pringgading, Brumbungan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 21:30 WIB
7. Gulai Ikan Pak Untung
Gulai is Indonesian traditional food. How about the taste? No need asking. It is absolutely delicious. It’s served with fish flavoured with Gulai spices. It usually put on the wide plate, and look more watery. Gulai ikan isn’t a spicy food, but more like fish in common. However the taste totally different.
One more thing, Gulai ikan isn’t fried. It is braised on the pan or huge bowl. When it’s done, your appetite will increase in sudden because the smell effing good and yum.
- Location: Jl. Singosari Raya No. 79, Pleburan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 21:00 WIB
- Price Tag: Start from Rp 12,000 – Rp 40,000
8. Nasi Ayam Bu Nyoto
Yogyakarta became popular with their gudeg and Nasi Liwet. And Semarang came up with their Nasi Ayam. As you know “ayam” relate to “chicken”, so yup, it’s filled with slices of chicken. This food literally can found easily almost in every street food in Semarang.
Don’t ask the taste, it’s yum, I swear. Beside chicken, it also served with egg, rice, sweet satay flavour, and bound into a traditional palate which made of bamboo or rattan. After eating this, you may fly to Bali to do Things to Do Near Bali Airport
- Location: Jl. Mayjen MT. Haryono, Peterongan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Opening Hours: 06:00 – 09:00 WIB and 17:00 – 21:30 WIB
More Traditional Food to Eat in Semarang
Another Semarang Culinary you might like:
- Nasi Liwet Bu Yatmi. Location: Jl. Timoho Raya No. 256 A, Tembalang, Bulusan, Semarang, Central Java
- Es Puter Cong Lik. Location: Jl. KH. Ahmad Dahlan A No. 11, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Tahu Gimbal Pak Is. Location: Jl. Menteri Supeno Mugassari, Semarang City, Central Java, Indonesia
- Nasi Ayam Bu Wido. Location: Jl. Melati Selatan, Brumbungan, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Babat Gongso Pak Karmin. Location: Kauman, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Soto Bangkong. Location: Jl. A. Yani, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
- Pisang Plenet Pak Subandi. Location: Jl. Pemuda, Pandansari, Semarang City, Central Java, Indonesia
That’s all! Which one you’ve tried before? You can also check What to Eat in Jakarta Lumpia, tahu gimbal, or what? Thus, that’s all what to eat in Semarang for your best holiday ever in Indonesia! Happy holiday in Indonesia!